Monday, February 23, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I know that many are thinking about Ash Wednesday, or even preaching on it. Here are 1 or 2 scattered thoughts:

1. I am not in a Lenten mood. I find myself less excited about 40 days of fasting and whatnot than I usually am. Normally, Lent is right up my alley.

But what do we do for those of us for whom the liturgical year is not matching up to the realities of our life? I often wonder this, even as a big fan of the liturgical year. Where does Lent find us when we are excited about life, when we have had plenty of Lenten experiences over the last six or nine months? What happens if we've fasted for months, only to approach a feast-time in our hearts in Lent?

Perhaps there is such a thing as a happy Lent. The word itself comes from the same root word as 'lengthen,' as in, the days are getting longer, and so we have Lent in springtime. Lent is a celebration of spring. Should we march through it facing only the cross, pretending (because it would be pretend) that we don't know about the resurrection on the other side? Should we marching facing the resurrection, trying to ignore the unpleasantness that happens on the way?

Perhaps the hymn is right: "To bow the head in sackcloth and in ashes/ or rend the soul, such grief is not Lent's goal/ But to be led/ to where God's glory flashes his beauty to come near." What if Lent is a beautiful time?

2. I loathe praying in public restaurants, not to mention at home, and I proof-text the gospel lesson as my example. Don't pray in public indeed--go home and shut your door people. So I'm fond of this lesson.

But that does stand in interesting contrast to the Isaiah lesson--what is fasting and making humble but justice for the poor, the orphan, the widow, it asks. But if our fast is to be justice for these, we cannot very well do it in the quiet of our rooms. If all is not okay with the orphan and widow, should we put oil on our head and go about our business?

It's a tough contrast. I'm not sure how to resolve it.